Pantry Challenge

One of my favorite bloggers did an "Eat from the Pantry Challenge" where she participated in a month-long stint with virtually no grocery shopping. The object of the challenge is to use up items you have in your pantry while saving money at the same time.

I have decided that I want to try this, just for fun. Looking at my food storage, freezers and pantry, I'd say it's going to be fairly easy. They are full, to say the least. I know better though- eating out of our food storage meal after meal, week after week is tough. Having food on hand is one thing, but creating healthy meals from it all is quite a different story!

Here are some ground rules I've placed for myself:

  1. I start on Monday. (And no, I'm not spending $500 today on groceries to get by. Although I do plan to go get some bread to freeze. I don't mind making it, but don't always have the time.)
  2. I will spend $100 or less on groceries for the next 30 days.
  3. I will try to only buy dairy {milk, eggs, cheese, etc.} and produce {fruits/vegetables}.
  4. Eat out a maximum of 3 times during the challenge. I don't want my savings to be negated by dinners out. Even then, I would prefer to eat all meals at home and see how we do. But I wanted an "escape route" in case a really bad day needed a meal out of the house.
  5. I'm currently seeing a nutritionist to finish my weight loss/exercise goals. If he tells me to purchase things that I won't be serving my family and are just for me (protein powder, etc.) those items will not be included in my $100.

So wish me luck! I'll be keeping you all posted about what items I buy and how much I'm spending. I'm looking forward to cleaning out my pantry a bit!

Anyone wanna join me?

2 comments:

Crissa Pollmann Robertson said...

Since we basically only have Nutrisystem...no!!!! But good luck!

Unknown said...

Its tempting . . . I wonder if Mike would be willing . . . .

My Darling Family

My Darling Family
I love them oodles and gobs!